Child Abuse: What a West Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer Can Do for You

If you think that you, or someone that you know has suffered child abuse you can get compensation through a West Virginia personal injury lawyer. Although many people assume that child abuse has to be physical this is not the case in the eyes of the law. Child abuse can come in the form of behavior that constitutes a threat or emotional abuse that comes in the form of verbal insults. The first thing that you should do is contact the police – they will remove the child who is being abused from their current environment. It doesn’t have to stop there – a personal injury lawyer can get you the compensation that you deserve.

Personal injury lawyers are different from other lawyers – their job is to prove that physical or emotional injuries were inflicted. Many people are reluctant to come forward to these kinds of lawyers because they feel ashamed. You shouldn’t; it is not your fault that the abuse occurred and the person who inflicted it should pay. The first thing that your lawyer will do is take down the details of your case. They will also try to get witnesses so as to buffer your case.

Once they feel that they have the facts they will then go to court and file a lawsuit on your behalf. The abuser will be served with the case against them and the court will decide when the case will be heard. It is not always that such cases are heard in court – most child abusers are usually ashamed of their actions and would not like the details to become public. Their lawyer will approach your lawyer with an option to settle – this means that both parties, you and the abuser, sit down and discuss how much monetary compensation is ideal. This is usually a better route to take because it takes a much shorter time than a court case.

In case you are worried about paying your West Virginia personal injury lawyer you shouldn’t be – personal injury lawyers are only paid if they get their clients compensation. They will get around one third of the full settlement that you receive.

If you have a concern about your legal rights, remedies, and obligations contact the experienced lawyers of the Law Office of Freeman & Chiartas.